17 June 2012

Happy BEElated...

Truth be told, I am still undecided about whether I like novelty cakes... Am I allowed to say that...?  I love and appreciate the craft and skills that go into making them, though am not sure that is where I want to be.  Though didn't I say that about sugarcraft before I had my first taste of it... Alright then... I am a sucker for the evolution my cake designs... :)

That's probably why I have yet to turn down any requests for cakes of this nature!  I think as
I am still very much learning and I love the challenge - so am always intrigued to see where these projects will take me and if I can deliver.

This time, it brought me to Bobbi - I didn't name her, her owner did!  Bobbi was a belated birthday cake for a friend, who is also a BEE by name... despite her innocent appearance, Bobbi is stacked with all things sweetly sinful, a moist chocolatey, pillowy soft chocolate sponge, sandwiched between chocolate fudge frosting and cream cheese frosting, and dark cherry jam... !


The wind changed.. Bobbi's face cracked
Though the biggest lesson of this cake was actually not in the making... I think it's important, as I write the blog and chart my cake journey, not to just showcase the cakes in all their apparent effortless  glory, though to show you what goes wrong when you are careless too!  So, as you can see, Bobbi, when finished, was a happy, beautiful Bee queen... though fresh out of the oven on Friday night, filled and covered and decorated by Saturday morning and ready to go by the afternoon.  So what went wrong? 



I think there were a combination factors that contributed to the downfall...  Maybe the jam "botox" injections into the dome ends of the cake, compromised the structure of the already moist cake before I frosted and covered it with the sugar paste. It could have been because it was finished not long before it made it's journey, the sugarpaste was still fresh and soft, and hadn't had much time to breathe and air dry a bit to set into shape. Or maybe the sugarpaste itself was a little thin (as you know how I feel about thick sugary icing!) ... or most likely SPEED BUMPS.  Too fast, too bumpy... Poor Bobbi... LESSON: Bumps do not like cakes.  

Smooth smooth pert BEEhind...
Quote of the night "Bees, chocolate cake.. it's the best"

 

No comments:

Post a Comment